1 April 2019

Mustering for Vigilus: Medge's Adeptus Mechanicus, End of Month 3

March is over, and with it the next stage of our Vigilus Tale comes to a close. It's been a great month for fans of the Vigilus campaign with the awesome new Campaign book, Vigilus Ablaze, landing. Not only that but The Warmaster himself has finally come, and his arrival has heralded the launch of a beautiful new Chaos range!

As a former follower of the Dark Gods it brings me great pleasure to see so many amazing new miniatures grace the range. I, however, repented my sins and am now a model Martian citizen (read as lobotomised mini-painting servitor), and as such have resisted the call of Chaos to focus on my Adeptus Mechanicus.

At the end of last month I pledged to complete the Secutarii Hoplites, with the goal of stretching that to complete my Sicarian Infiltrators.

So how did I do?



First up - the Secutarii Hoplites!








These models were a bit of a pain to prepare simple because they're forge world (and resin requires that little bit of TLC). But they're also amazing models and I'm SO GLAD I painted some.

I opted for a different colour scheme on these guys compared to the regular Skitarii. The Secutarii are the Titan-guard; Skitarii infantry owned by the Adeptus Titanicus utilised as close protection for the God-machines. In rules terms these models don't officially have the same <FORGE WORLD> rules as the rest of the army and don't get the Forge World benefits of the rest of the army (but they do benefit from Adeptus Mechanicus Canticles of the Omnissiah rules, which helps!). Since they don't have the same <Forge World> as the rest of the army it didn't seem right to do the same colour scheme.


I've opted for a Stegadon Scale Green cloak edged with Ulthuan Grey; the white trim giving the models a little design symmetry with the existing Skitarii. I've also used the same bronze metallics,  red as a spot colour (like my skitarii) and have painted the Arc Lances and backpack with the same electrical/ energy pattern as my Sydonian Dragoon from month one, again helping the models fit in to my existing force.

Up next - the Sicarian Infiltrators





The Infiltrators have already suffered a few antennae-casualties thanks to poor transport, and I'll be surprised if they all survive! That being said, they're super cool models and I'm glad to have a few!

They posed an interesting painting challenge for me - up until now all the Skitarii I've painted have had billowing cloaks and simple metallic torsos, making painting the two-tone colour of my Forge World nice and easy. The Infiltrators have more mechanical elements than basic Skitarii, and are a lot slighter leaving little space for the purple/ white colours. 

I toyed with the idea of keeping torso silver like the Skitarii Vanguard/ Rangers, but in the end opted to paint the torsos in my usual two-tone. I kept the fabric on the legs/ arms black (like my Vanguard/ Ranger trousers), the limbs boltgun metal and the additional details bronze. As with my Sydonian Dragoon and the Secutarii Hoplites above I also painted the Taser Goads in electric blue, so the models match my usual paint scheme to the letter

Finally, I also pushed a little harder to add 4 more Skitarii Rangers with 2x Transuranic Arquebus and a Skitarii Ranger with an Omnispex to the list,






These were painted exactly the same as my previous models of the same sort, so no detailed explanation needed.
The eagle eyed among you may notice a little freehand on the cloaks; something new I've gone back and added to all my guys... Squad markings!!

Each Skitarii Ranger/ Vanguard I have now has a designation. The prefix is always the Greek symbols "Pi" and "Tau" (or P-T for Pitar Tertius; my Forge World)
After that I've added a Roman Numeral for the squad number, followed by a Greek "alpha" for the Squad Alpha
Nothing ground breaking, but a little flourish to make the models stand out.

So ends the month of painting... at least for the AdMech! I've had a very productive #BashTheBacklog session this month... but more about that in another post ;-)
No fluff/ backstory this month as I desperately tear though Vigilus Ablaze and catch up on the story, so I'll sign of with some shameless self promotion...

I've recently set up an Instagram profile, so for more updates on my projects as they're going on then click on the link and follow, or just search for DrMedge!~

Oh! Next month!
With this months project done I'm almost finished with all my AdMech. This month I'm pledging to complete a second Onagar Dunecrawler, and should time allow also a pair of Kastelan Robots with a Cybernetica Datasmith. But with an Age of Sigmar Death project on the books too who knows how far I'll get!

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff! Really nice to see those hoplites painted; makes me want to crack on with a squad of my own!

    ReplyDelete

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...