29 January 2019

Mustering for Vigilus: Medge's Adeptus Mechanicus, End of Month 1

January comes to an end, and with it the first month of our Tale.

For those that didn't read my Intro post, we're pledging small elements at each step to stop ourselves from getting too carried away.

I, as you will soon learn is in my character, got carried away!


So to recap - my core pledge was:


1 Skitarii Vanguard with Radium Carbine








1 Skitarii Vanguard with Radium Carbine and Enhanced Data Tether






1 Skitarii Vanguard with Arc Rifle





1 Skitarii Vanguard Alpha with Arc Pistol and Power Maul









1 Skitarii Ranger with Transuranic Arquebus







and 1 Tech-Priest Enginseer










So that's the core pledge done! But, as I say... I got a little carried away!
The local Games Workshop is running a Vigilus campaign, starting at 500 points, and so I decided to get myself in gear and paint up the last few elements I needed to get to 500 points.

Starting with a Sydonian Dragoon

















This is a model that's been sat in my backlog over over 2 years, so to see it completed is a great feeling! Not only that, but it gave me an opportunity to add a little extra flavour to my bases - namely the head-squished Black Legionary on the base. With the main antagonist of Kaelac's Bane being Chaos Space Marines (in the fluff so far it implies Rubric Marines in the colours of both the Black Legion and the Thousand Sons, but I've gone for a more traditional Black Legionary) I've taken some licence to a add dead Heretic and some damaged metal pylons to the base.

The final part of the 500 points is an Onager Dunecrawler armed with a Neutron Destroyer.




















This is a model I've long admired and I'm so pleased to finally own one!

As with all my Admech I've adopted the counterchange purple-white scheme trimmed with bronze and silver.

I decided to go all out on this tank, opting for full highlights and a nice cinematic base - complete with damaged AdMech and Space Marine tech and a very, very dead Black Legion Khorne Beserker.
As with my Sydonian Dragoon I've chosen to take slight artistic licence with the choice of dead Marine, but the Black Legionary (complete with blood splatter across the snow) created a nice contrast against the cool white and blue of the base, and helps cement my AdMech as part of the ongoing defenders on Vigilus.

More than just this, I've added an element of object source lighting on the gun barrel, casting a cool blue glow across the front plate of the Dunecrawler. It's something I've not tried a lot before but I'm pretty happy with how it's panned out.

I'll be entering these models into the painting competition at GW this weekend so hopefully they do me proud!

Coming Next Month

Next month for our Tale we're again committing to a single box, and I need to ramp up my 500 point AdMech to 1000 points for the store campaign.

I'm choosing to kill both those birds with one Super-Heavy Stone in the form of an Imperial Knight!

It's a tall ask (no pun intended) to build and paint it in a month, and will likely put me seriously ahead of my fellow Warlords in terms of raw firepower, but it's a project I'm excited for. Fortunately I've got the sprue sat in my bitz box (shocking I know...) so this also fulfills a #BashTheBacklog quota too!

Looking forward to it!


3 comments:

  1. Fantastic paint jobs all around, especially the basing, but I love, LOVE the counter charged cloaks/hulls! Its a very striking look that I've not seen before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! I wanted to go with something a little different, and since whites and purples are colours I never really use i decided to challenge myself! Really please with how it turned out, and it's really great to hear some positive feedback!

      Delete
  2. Wish I'd seen this earlier, I would have popped over to GW Cambridge to see them in person! I have built and painted a knight in a month before now (in fact, I've done it twice) so I know it's possible. An excellent challenge though!

    ReplyDelete

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...