25 October 2019

Bash the Back-log #5; Medge's August - October

This year I've pledged to #BashtheBacklog - taking steps to correct that most grievous (but widespread) of hobby sins; the backlog of unpainted plastic!

Last update covered the end of June and July, in which time I had a nice little Blood Angels binge.
It's been nearly three months since my last instalment ... so how have I done?

The majority of my hobby time over the last three months has been dedicated to my Grey Knights project, gearing up to the tournament that I'm at today! Whilst I intended to use the Grey knight project as an excuse to catch up with some back-log, I ended up investing more than I thought in second-hand and new models to get the project finished.

A few of the finished models were from my backlog, and whilst they're been shown off in other projects I'll add them to the list below


Grand Master Voldus






Much like Guilliman, Grand Master Voldus has sat in my backlog pile since the release of the Triumvirate of the Primarch. My Grey knight project was the perfect opportunity to bring this stunning Character out and display him in all his glory. I'm really please with how he's turned out, having got my eye for Grey Knight Terminators in before painting him, and doing a pretty good job!

Grey Knights Chaplain




My converted Grey Knight Chaplain has sat in my to-do pile since the start of 8th Edition. When the GK codex dropped two years ago I snapped it up, looking to put together a Grey Knight/ Dark Angels doubles project with my fellow warlord Neil.
This was during a time when the Index's (pre-codexes) were still pretty dominant, and 8th Edition was still in its infancy. I never really gelled with the game at this stage and the character just sort of faded into the backlog.

As one of my favourite conversions to date (the subtle use of a Chaos Space Marine helm on a GK character a delightful irony!) I'm super happy with how he turned out - particularly the aforementioned helm, which I painted in a bone scheme I haven't previously used.

Grey Knight Rhino










One of the two Grey Knights Rhino's I've painted for the project was also part of the backlog, and the second re-claimed project I've shown on this blog (behind my Knight Styrix)


This Rhino started it's life as a 30k Word Bearers Rhino 7+ years ago, was re-primed and sat silver in my to-do pile for two years. After a quick paint strip and re-priming I was able to salvage most of the details and give the model new life. 


I'll admit... I bought the base new! But that's it, I swear!!

Prior to painting I also raided the bits box for the spare Grey Knight head and shoulder for the pintle-gunner - a little extra detail to help tie it in to the wider force.

Grey Knight Apothecary






Much like the Chaplain, this character has been sat in the backlog since the start of 8th Edition; a quick model through together to fill an elites niche that never really took off.

But he's proven an invaluable member of the tournament list, standing up to more than his share of James' Custodes and accounting a lot of resurrections and a surprisingly high kill-tally too!

He's also the first model I've tried Contrast Paint of too, the Apothecary Grey giving a really nice, soft shading to the white of his narcethium. 


Grey Knight Paladin Ancient




The Paladin Ancient was one of the original models I wanted in my full Terminator GK list way back at the start of 8th Edition, and has kind of sat collecting dust for a while. Painting him up was more of an afterthought, as he was mostly done and just needed the banner. I took the opportunity to paint the banner in mat colours, using greys and yellows over the silver and gold on the actual model. unfortunately I was a little over-zealous with my undercoating and I flattened some of the details on the banner. The end result for the banner is alright - concertina fine for the tabletop but a little off where I would like it to be. He may get a new banner next year...

******

Beyond the Grey Knights I've also managed to complete a few extra additions to my existing Blood Angels army. Raiding the box-of-shame again I pulled out two sets of models I received in the same trade that saw me acquire the Devastators (from Update 4) from Blood Angels Lieutenant (from Update #2) and the Ultramarines Captain (from Update #3); the first is a squad of Space Marine Scouts and the second is a squad of Sternguard Veterans.

Blood Angels Space Marine Scouts



The Scouts are a fairly staple tournament pick, and whilst I'm not the biggest fan of the sculpts they offered a new palette for me to paint for the Blood Angels; lots of skin and the baggy trousers offering colours and textures I don't usually use.


Not the best models I've ever painted, but they're not bad!

Blood Angels Sternguard Veterans





The Sternguard, by comparison, were REALLY enjoyable to paint. Coming off the back of the Grey Knights I was fully prepared to tackle these guys - amazing models with insane levels of details. Couple that to the excellent poses and they were super fun! And i hear they're also great in game, so I'm looking forward to testing them out!



******
That ends this months backlog update. It's been nice to get a bit of a break from the Grey Knights now that the tournament list is complete (final update coming soon!), and my hobby desk is currently cleared of paints ready for a big build-a-thon... so plenty more backlog and new projects coming soon!

For now, let's just take stock of what I've caught up on so far in 2019

Jan-Feb 2019:


2 Imperial Knights
1 Knight Armiger
1 Blood Angel Primaris Lieutenant
1 Adeptus Mechanicus Sydionian Dragoon

Feb-April 2019

1 Blood Angel Primaris Captain
1 Blood Angel Primaris Lieutenant
1 Blood Angels Chaplain
1 Blood Angels Lieutenant
Robute Gulliman - Primach of the Ultramarines
20 Chainrasps
20 Skeleton Warriors

April-June 2019

1 Questoris Knight 
1 Ultramarine Captain
1 Vampire Lord
1 Guardian of Souls
1 Necromancer
1 Arkhan the Black

June-July 2019

5 Blood Angels Devestators
5 Blood Angels Primaris Hellblasters
3 Blood Angels Primaris Reivers (+ two extra that were bought this year)

August-October 2019


Grand Master Voldus

Grey Knight Chaplain
Grey Knight Apothecary
Grey Knight Paladin Ancient
Grey Knight Rhino
5 Blood Angel Scouts
5 Blood Angel Sternguard Veterans


15 more models added to the backlog and my first tank (Knights not included), bringing the total Backlog bashed up to 89! WOW!

With likely one more update before the end of the year I'm definitely going to push for the big 100! And hopefully I'm also inspiring you all to get a handle on your own backlog!
If anyone out there is following along then comment below with how you're getting on, and let's Bash this Backlog together!

Until next time, so long!





Visit my Instagram for regular updates on all my hobby activities: https://www.instagram.com/drmedge/?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...