21 April 2019

Bash the Back-log #2; Medge's Feb-April 2019

This year I've pledged to #BashtheBacklog - taking steps to correct that most grievous (but widespread) of hobby sins; the backlog of unpainted plastic!

Last update covered January through till mid February. This update we'll cover the end of Feb, March and April. 


In Bash the Back-log #1 I confessed to having expanded my hobby backlog by some margin (Birthday and Christmas had some very expected consequences!), and whilst I've made some headway in painting those mini's... and the few more I bought in March and April... for this series I'll only be focusing on the unpainted mini's I owned before the start of 2019.

So how am I doing?


Given how prolific I've been with painting Imperial units in 2019 I thought I'd keep riding this particularly wave, focusing on some of my non-AdMech models.

First for the brush were a quartet of Blood Angels heroes



Both the Primaris Lieutenant and Captain came from the Dark Imperium set. As with the first Lieutenant I showed off in Bash the Back-log #1 these two mini's have had minor conversions to make them look slightly more "Blood Angels" like.



It's been pointed out to me that the Captain doesn't have his eyes painted... this was an embarrassing oversight by me but not one I plan to correct. Eyes have always been something I struggle with, especially when they're in a recessed helmet slot! I'll likely go back and update the model at some point when I have more confidence with eyes, but for now I think he passes as "good tabletop quality" (i.e. from a far enough distance away that you can't see his face!)

Accompanying these Primaris marines are two of their first generation Astartes brothers - a Blood Angels Chaplain and a Lieutenant



The Blood Angels Chaplain is one of my favourite models in the whole Imperial range; aggressive, gothic, dynamic and utterly unmistakable as a grim leader of the damned. I received this model as a Christmas gift waaay back in 2015 (I actually wrote about it inspiring an army back then in an older blog). Since then he's been sat undercoated black in a box waiting for a slap of paint, and I'm very pleased to have finally finished him!


The last model in the quartet is a humble Lieutenant. Re-purposed from an older Space Marines Sergeant, this model was painted purely as a quick gaming piece; a cheap "re-rolls to wound" bubble should I need it. He's got nothing flashy on him, which was quite nice after painting so many very flashy heroes!

Speaking of flashy heroes...




Robute Gulliman; The Avenging Son, Lord of Ultramar, Primarch of the XIII Legion and Imperial Regent has joined my collection. 

When the Gathering Storm series began I was awestruck. For the first time in over a decade Game Workshop were advancing the story in a fundamental way. Not only that, but they were introducing legendary heroes (past and future) into the story via the "Triumvirtae" box sets. 
First we saw Belisarius Cawl, Inquisitor Greyfax and the gorgeous Celestine arrive in the Triumvirtae of the Imperium box, next came the Triumvirtae of Ynnead and the gorgeous Ynnari models. Both boxes tempted me, but I wasn't too interested in AdMech, the Inquisiton, the Sisters of Battle or the Aeldari at the time. 
Then came the Triumvirtae of the Primarch and the return of a legend (well... two if you include the surprise return of Cypher!)

I snatched up the box without a second thought - a 40k loyalist Primarch was a miracle!
Gulliman was built in sub-assemblies straight away and then... kind of languished. After 8th Edition launched and tried to get back into plying 40k and failed, testing and buying models for a number of armies without ever finding one that fit for me. Whilst GW did their best with the Indexes I found a lot of the rules a bit jarring, and without the added benefits of the Stratagems and Battleforged traits each army felt a little flat (plus the points were a little al over the place!!)

But with our new Tale of Four Gamers I've found my passion for 40k again, and no Imperial Army is really complete without the Avenging Son at it's head!

I pushed myself when painting Gulliman, trying to ensure all the highlights were thinner than normal, and trying to paint a model without excessive shading (an unfortunate hallmark of my work).

I'm most proud of the face on this model. I've already said I hate faces, but Gulliman demanded extra effort and I feel like I've delivered.


So ends the Imperial additions to my back-log this month, but not the end of the Blog Post...

I've also been active in the Mortal Realms, painting up a small horde of mini's for my Death army.

If you're following my "Cold grasp of Death" series you'll know I started a Death army about a year ago when Malign Portents began. This year I'm planning to finish the project (or at least revive it and get it to a playable state) and have painted 20 Skeleton Warriors and 20 Chainrasps for a 1000 point list.




The keen-eyed will count 30 skeletons in the above picture... 10 were from last year but I after mixing them together I didn't know what was old and what was new... so I just photo'd them all!

The skeletons were purchased as part of my large Death push last year. I really wanted to field an endless horde of Deathrattle soldiers so, in my folly, bought 50 of them... and they're bad
Then the Nighthaunt came out, and Skeletons became even worse when compared to their Chainrasp cousins. Point-for-point Chainrasps are just strictly better but I'm sticking to the bone-boys because I have so many (still have 20 to paint after all...).
The Chainrasps were from Soul Wars; a box I snapped up as soon as it dropped and then kind of left doing nothing (a common practice of mine...) as I found myself drawn towards Destruction. 

Both hordes were sped-painted using a combination of washed and drybrushes over a single base colour. Quick and easy, but in large enough volume makes for nice viewing.

That brings me to the end of the post, and time for the final tally:

Jan-Feb 2019:


2 Imperial Knights
1 Knight Armiger
1 Blood Angel Primaris Lieutenant
1 Adeptus Mechanicus Sydionian Dragoon

Feb-April 2019

1 Blood Angel Primaris Captain
1 Blood Angel Primaris Lieutenant
1 Blood Angels Chaplain
1 Blood Angels Lieutenant
Robute Gulliman - Primach of the Ultramarines
20 Chainrasps
20 Skeleton Warriors

So after just under 4 months my back-log is now 50 models smaller, including 6 Characters, 3 Super-heavy Walkers, 1 Walker and 40 Infantry.

Not too bad at all! If anyone out there is following along then comment below with how you're getting on, and let's Bash this Backlog together!

Until next time, so long!

Visit my Instagram for regular updates on all my hobby activities: https://www.instagram.com/drmedge/?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...