13 April 2019

The cold grasp of Death, Part 2: The revenants rise... An Age of Sigmar Project by Medge

There's an unseasonable chill in the air... a sure sign of Shyishian magic stirring across the world. Many lie huddled within their homes fearful of the wrath of Nagash, but not I! For I have raised a mighty host in his service over the last month; a fitting tribute to the Great Necromancer!

In my last post I shared the origins of my Age of Sigmar: Death army, along with details of my initial Army List for the local league I'll be participating in. We're looking to start the league at the end of April so I thought mid-month would be a nice check-in point for the project.

So what have I been up to?


First - let's revisit the list:



As you can see it's not the most optimised of lists, but it contains a number of strong Meta picks (Arkhan, Chainwraps and Grimghasts) which should hopefully serve me well. I'm fully aware that the Skeletons Warriors are a sub-optimal unit but given that I own 50 (40 unpainted when I started this project) I thought I'd use the list to tackle some backlog.

Speaking of which...






I started the month with 10 painted skeletons (plus my handy little unit filler (see below)) including a full command (Champion, Banner and Musician)



but in the last month I've painted half my back-log, raising the skeleton horde by 20 models to bring it up to the 30 I intended to use.

The paint scheme is far from complex; Undercoast with Zandri Dust spray, dry-brush with Screaming Skull for the bone. The Metalwork is painted either Leadbelcher or Warplock Bronze, any wood from shields was painted Gorthor Brown and spear shafts painted Mournfang brown. The whole model was then washed Aggrax Earthshade. The remaining cloth details were then painted Xerus Purple and washed Nuln Oil, with straps and scabbards painted Abaddon Black - done! No highlights... but does the legion of the dead need it?

Basing was equally simple - Astrogranite Texture paint, wash Nuln Oil, Drybrush Mechanicum Standard Grey, Drybrush Dawnstone.

Simples!

With big batch of Battleline down I turned to another big batch of Battleline... the Chainrasps! 20 mini's from Soul Wars that I've been sat on for a year crying out for some attention

I decided to paint the models in the same way as the Knight of Shrouds already in my collection:




The Knight of Shrouds was painted over a year ago when Malign Portents first launched, and was painted using Peachy's tutorial on the Warhammer Community YouTube channel

I want the Nighthaunt elements of my force to look the same, so it seemed logical to follow the same scheme as the Knight of Shrouds - although I left off the final highlight (not doing that on 20!!)







Again - I think they look pretty good! The only element I'm not happy with, and this extends to the Skeletons too, is the simplicity of the bases. I was lucky enough to go to Salute 2019 last weekend but didn't find the right tone/ type of flock to help break up the bases. I'm going to keep looking though, and it's something I can add at a later stage to make the models pop a bit more.

So that's 40 mini's painted this month! Not bad at all!

And if that was all I'd done I'd be happy, but I'm not one to take these projects slowly!

I also assembled Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament and 20 Grimghast Reapers.
Arkhan was a model left over from when I started the project last year.
The Grimghast were a new purchase. I had 4 from the Soul Wars box and managed to trade/ e-bay 6 of the Easy-to-build ones from Soul Wars which I augmented with a new box of 10 from GW.

At the time of writing these models are assembled, undercoated and half-painted. I'll be following a similar scheme to that shown already, so expect to see an update in a few weeks time!

And with that I shall sign off - Nagash is a cruel master and requires more tribute!

Best of luck with all your hobby endeavors everyone, and if you like what you see/ read here and want to follow along don't forget to subscribe to our mailing list and check me out over on Instagram (#DrMedge

Thanks again, and see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...