6 March 2019

Bash the Back-log #1; Medge's Jan-Feb 2019

This year I've pledged to #BashtheBacklog - taking a step to correct that most grievous (but widespread) of hobby sins; the backlog of unpainted plastic!

In my first post I showed off some of my extensive (some would argue: excessive/ humiliating) backlog... and I'm ashamed to say that so far this year I've not so much bashed it and swollen it... adding a few extra boxes projects to the already sizable piles.

With Christmas, my Birthday (in early Feb) and a scheduled trip to Warhammer World to see off the end of our last Tale of Four Gamers for Fantasy I've had ample opportunity to add to my hobby projects, and unfortunately I lacked the willpower to resist!

Despite taking a step backward in my pledge, I have also take a few steps forward (promise!) making some progress on older projects and completing a few models from one of my piles of shame!


The first Backlog model bashed featured in January's Muster for Vigilus post; my Sydonian Dragoon.



As I said in the main post, this model has been on my to-do pile for well over 2 years (thinking about it now... it's probably closer to 4!) This model was actually built and undercoated after the first release of Codex: Skitarii... way back in 2015!

Image result for codex: Skitarii

So I was so pleased to finally have a project on the go that enabled me to complete this mini!

Up next on my backlog bash was the Primaris Lieutenant from Dark Imperium




When Dark Imperium dropped back in June 2017 I jumped at the chance to get the set. My very first Intercessor was actually painted up as a Salamander, but after the project stalled I ended up repainting him, and 4 more squad mates, in Blood Angels red. I wanted the Commanders from Dark Imperium to look suitably Blood Angels-like - the Angels are well known for the artistic flourishes they give their armour, and in the wake of the Devestation of Baal I suspect the Primaris Reinforcements were introduced into the Legion ways pretty quickly! To reflect this I performed minor kit-swaps to all the Commander miniatures; the Lieutenant shown above contains one of the winged tear-drops from the Blood Angels Tactical Squad (i think...). 
The model was then based in the same snowy motif as the rest of my Angels and moved from the "incomplete" pile to the complete pile... huzzah!

The biggest hobby success of 2019 so far has already been written up in my Vigilus Month 2 report. The Imperial Knights of House Esmaral have, regrettably, been sat rusting for quite some time...




In the report I mention the full knights came as part of Imperial Knights: Renegade. What I didn't tell you is that wasn't the 2018 release... but the first release back in 2016!


My Girlfriend was interested in modelling and became enamored by the Knights because of the parallels between them and traditional Knights (she loves Medieval history, heraldry, monarchy... all that jazz).
Her minor love affair with the hobby ended when she had to build the kit (they're big and complex for first-time hobbyists!), and the Knight Gallant has been sat in sub-assemblies for the best part of 3 years waiting for paint, the other Knight still new-on-sprue until I built it as a Crusader-class at the beginning of February!

The second Knight Armiger has been sat around for much less time. Last year I committed to getting 1000 points of AdMech done as part of Wargamer Online's hobby challenge. I was unsuccessful with the AdMech (because of another project) and sadly this second Armiger was the unfinished fruit of that tale. 

But thankfully this blog came to rescue of the beleaguered Knights, and our current Muster for Vigilus Series helped spur me into bashing this particular backlog!

So the running total of Backlog Bashed so far reads...

2 Imperial Knights
1 Knight Armiger
1 Blood Angel Primaris Lieutenant
1 Adeptus Mechanicus Sydionian Dragoon

Up next is a little wander into the Age of Sigmar... or rather... it's Underworlds ;-)

Lots more Backlog to bash, so see you in a few months with the next report!

In the mean time, let me know how you're getting on with your own #BashtheBacklog in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. I'm currently on a drive to do Ad Mech troops, so Rangers with Arquebus, Vanguard with Triple Plasma and Vanguard with triple Arc Rifles. So far 1x10 Rangers completed (from painted squad but re-armed and re-touched), 1x10 Vanguard completed and a few Ranger Snipers through this year's Squaduary pledge. Love the Lieutenant too, and of course the Banner of Knights looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Currently working on the last model of my original Start Collecting: Skitarii box set (from back in 2016). Started the Onager when I bought the box but never finished it. This month I will finally push it across the line.

    ReplyDelete

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...