20 October 2019

Fun and Fluff Part 4; The Knights of Titan march to war!

Welcome back to the Fun and Fluff series; a short blog series dedicated to my preparation for the London Wargaming Guilds Fun and Fluff Tournament in October. 

Last post I pretty much finished my list, smashing through my targets and leaving me with only one model left to paint.

With the event only a week away did I manage to complete the list?!



Progress

The short answer, of course, is yes! One Dreadknight wasn't a huge challenge, and I finished it pretty quickly after my last post



As I said in my last post - this model hasn't filled me with confidence during the games I've played, running as a standard GK Dreadknight (not the Grand Master) he seems pretty lackluster. So when I started painting the model I wasn't hugely enthused, but I must admit that I did enjoy the project in the end. It's a big old kit but it still has lots of little intricate details that need attention. 

It also gave me the opportunity to test the power sword blending I'd been working on on a large surface. I don't think it turned out great, but it's certainly tabletop quality!



With the Dreadknight finished I kept the Grey Knight Ball rolling and completed both Kaldor Draigo and a Paladin Ancient





Two extra models to give me some options when building/ rebuilding the list!

Assessment of the list

In the last few weeks I've played a fair few games, mostly just to get to grips with the ITC rules the tournament will be running.

In that time I've definitely noticed a few things about the list I didn't like, and lot I did.

Likes:

Voldus - bought as a "wizard", I underestimated how beastly Voldus is in combat. 2+ to hit and usually 2+ to wound doing a straight 3 damage is pretty insane, plus he's packing a 2+/4++ saves, a re-roll bubble, and 3 spells for damage and utility... yeah. The guy does work!

Apothecary - a surprise stand out, with 5 wounds, 4 attacks and a 2+ to hit in melee the Apothecary can (and has) held his own against things he really shouldn't have! Couple that to the healing he provides and he's proven really useful in my games

Interceptors - pretty average units with a once per game redeploy built into their kit... yeah. The redeploy won me at least one game, and is not to be underestimated!

Dislikes:

Chaplain - The reroll bubble he provides is pretty limited, especially when he just does it worse than Voldus. Useful for the Warlord trait he lets me bring (re-roll charges), but let down by a very average melee weapon. 
My favourite conversion, and a model I hope see's an upgrade if/ when Grey Knights gain access to the new Litanies marine Chaplains get

Nemesis Dreadknight - Yeah... a mobile heavy weapon platform with no ability to ignore move and fire penalties, this guy has great potential he never lives up to. Has proved very effective in melee, and has has his uses when he gets to stand and fire, but ultimately doesn't carry his weight on the table. Some of that is meta based (SM and Custodes do very well against 0AP shots), but some of that is the model

List revision

With today being the final day to submit a list I'm caught in a bind. I haven't been able to test out the Nemesis Dreadknight Grand Master, who gains an extra spell and WS and BS 2+, which would be a serious benefit to the model and likely much better than the Chaplain I'm currently bringing.

I wouldn't want to play a narrative with 2 Grand Masters on the table, but I know dropping Voldus would allow me to take Draigo in his stead - I lose some spell flexibility but I gain Draigo!

Both these swaps seem to offer me a little more punch, without detracting too much from the narrative... but with no time to test them I'm not sure whether I should risk running an untested, but on paper better, list... or stick with what I've practiced.

Since the event is supposed to be more fun than competitive I suspect I'll roll the dice, as it were, with the untested list! Why not!!


Final List Decision

HQ


Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight
Equipment: Dreadfist, Nemesis Greatsword, Gattling Psilancer, Heavy Psicannon
Powers: Sanctuary, Smite
Warlord: First to the fray

Lord Kaldor Draigo
Powers: Gate of Infinity, Purge Soul, Smite

Troops


Strike Squad
Grey Knight Justicar, Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
2x Grey Knights, Nemesis Force Halberd, Storm Bolter
2x Grey Knights, Nemesis Force Swords, Storm Bolter
Powers: Gate of Infinity, Smite


Terminator Squad
Grey Knight Terminator Justicar, Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
4x Grey Knights Terminators, Nemesis Force Halberd, Storm Bolter
Powers: Hammerhand, Smite


Terminator Squad
Grey Knight Terminator Justicar, Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
2x Grey Knights Terminators, paired Nemesis Falchion, Storm Bolter
1x Grey Knights Terminators, Nemesis Force Sword, Storm Bolter
1x Grey Knights Terminators, Nemesis Force Sword, Psilancer
Powers: Hammerhand, Smite

Elites


Apothecary 
Equipment: Nemesis Force Sword, Narcethium
Powers: Sanctuary
Relic: Curiass of Sacrifice 

Purifier Squad
Knight of the Flame, Nemesis Force Halberd, Storm Bolter
2x Grey Knights, paired Nemesis Falchion, Storm Bolter
2x Grey Knights, Incinerator
Powers: Purge Soul, Smite

Fast Attack


Interceptor Squad
Interceptor Justicar, Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
2x Grey Knights, Nemesis Force Sword, Storm Bolter
1x Grey Knights, Psicannon
1x Grey Knight, Nemesis Force Halberd, Storm Bolter
Powers: Vortex of Doom, Smite


Dedicated Transports


Rhino
Storm Bolter

Rhino
Storm Bolter

And that's the final list. I'm submitting it today, so lets see how I get on! I don't like my odds, but for every loss I get a free raffle ticket.. so I'm aiming for 5 of those!!!

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Hope you did well. Your models are looking fantastic. That blending on the sword really makes that model pop.

    ReplyDelete

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...