12 December 2019

Bash the Back-log #6; Medge's October - December

This year I've pledged to #BashtheBacklog - taking steps to correct that most grievous (but widespread) of hobby sins; the backlog of unpainted plastic!

In my last update I covered the end of August through to mid October, and a number of Grey Knights and a few extra Blood Angels moved from back-log to completed projects.

2019 is nearly over, and this will likely be the last #BashtheBacklog post of the year... so what have I been working on in the final few weeks of the year?



With "Project: Grey Knights" over the last few months I focused on the final pieces I needed for the tournament and neglected many of the backlog pieces I've had since the start of 8th Edition.

So after a much needed post-tournament hobby-break a big focus of mine was closing out the Grey Knights and catching up with the last of the Grey Knights.


Up first - the last of the Terminators

After 10 of these having come before I suspect all the readers of this blog will be familiar with how I paint these. I've not gone as far with highlighting these 5 compared to the 10 that came before, but they they're done to a good tabletop standard which I all I was really aiming for!

One thing I am particularly pleased with on these guys are the blades. Practice makes perfect and after... nearly 40 of these blue-blended blades I'm starting to get pretty good (if I don't say so myself!)



With the final Terminators done it was just the last 5-man Power Armour squad to go.
I opted to paint these up as an extra 5 Purifiers to add to the 5 I already had.


Again, nothing new here! Lots of Nemesis Falchions and an Incinerator will make these guys dangerous up close, and complement the 5 I already have (similarly armed, which makes that a nice 10-man squad)

The last bit of Backlog painted for the Grey Knights was a Venerable Dreadnought





A quick a simple paint job, this guy is unlikely to feature in any games any time soon (Psychic Awakening 4 please prove me wrong!) but he represents another piece of the backlog done.

Plus Dreadnoughts are pretty cool models - always a plus!

There were two other Grey Knight projects I tied off these last few weeks - 5 more Interceptors and Castellen Crowe - but since they were acquired in July/ August they won't feature here.

After knocking out the last of my Grey Knights I changed pace to something Sigmar related, looking for a bit of a break from Silver.

Up first was the resurrection of my Undead army (pun very much intended!)

First I cleared my way though the last remnants of my Skeleton Horde


Unlike my previous Horde, I opted to use red as the main colour on these 20. With the Vampiric-elements of my Death army (Neferata and the Vampire Lord) both painted red this acts as a decent unifier for the force whilst also helping me distinguish between 60 of the same model!

With 20 Skeletons down I felt it only prudent to complete the last 6 skeletons in my army... the Sepulchral Guard!


In truth, these guys were painted at the same time as the other Skeletons... hence the Red. I chose to use a quick and simple paint scheme of washes and drybrushes with minimal highlighting to get these guys done. As much as I enjoy Warhammer: Underworlds I don't play it as much as I should and am happy for these guys to be unit fillers in my existing Death army.

After finishing off these 5 models I had a bit of a taste for slashing through my outstanding Warhammer: Underworlds warbands and moved quickly on to the Thorns of the Briar Queen.


Now if I'm super honest... I got these models in February and so they technically don't count towards my Backlog...
but I'm counting it... because they're over 6 months old! 

As time moves on so should my definition of Backlog after all!

Cheating a little bit again, we move on to my final entry in this #BashtheBacklog entry; The Chosen Axes


As the first Fire-dorfs I've painted I opted for something a little different (although actually kind of cliche, if you check instagram). metallic skin and red/orange beards make the models really striking. I've definitely got the taste for these models now and really really want to paint some more!!


******

That ends this backlog update. I fell off the wagon a little post-tournament, but the break did me good and I've come back more enthusiastic than ever. With another 30 models cracked out this month all that's left is to take stock of the 2019 Backlog I've bashed!

Jan-Feb 2019:


2 Imperial Knights
1 Knight Armiger
1 Blood Angel Primaris Lieutenant
1 Adeptus Mechanicus Sydionian Dragoon

Feb-April 2019

1 Blood Angel Primaris Captain
1 Blood Angel Primaris Lieutenant
1 Blood Angels Chaplain
1 Blood Angels Lieutenant
Robute Gulliman - Primach of the Ultramarines
20 Chainrasps
20 Skeleton Warriors

April-June 2019

1 Questoris Knight 
1 Ultramarine Captain
1 Vampire Lord
1 Guardian of Souls
1 Necromancer
1 Arkhan the Black

June-July 2019

5 Blood Angels Devestators
5 Blood Angels Primaris Hellblasters
3 Blood Angels Primaris Reivers (+ two extra that were bought this year)

August-October 2019


Grand Master Voldus

Grey Knight Chaplain
Grey Knight Apothecary
Grey Knight Paladin Ancient
Grey Knight Rhino
5 Blood Angel Scouts
5 Blood Angel Sternguard Veterans


October - December 2019

5 Grey Knight Terminators
5 Grey Knight Purifiers
1 Grey Knight Venerable Dreadnought
20 Skeletons
The Chosen Axes (4 models)
The Thorns of the Briar Queen (7 models)
The Sepulchral Guard (7 models)

That brings the total model count, with two weeks of the year left, up to 128 models!!

Two weeks left of 2019... what else can I get over the line!!

Guess you won't be waiting long to find out...


Visit my Instagram for regular updates on all my hobby activities: https://www.instagram.com/drmedge/?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...