27 April 2021

Guardians of the Great Plan: Into the Beastgrave

Hi all Neil here with with a new Guardians of the Great Plan post showing how I painted up a unit of terradon riders and the Starblood Stalkers, the Seraphon warband for Warhammer Underworld.  These two had a few new types of features to paint so I've recorded what I did for the models so I don't forget if I come to paint more in future.  This Starblood Stalkers warband is my first foray into Warhammer Underworlds which will probably be the game I use to break back into gaming after the halt caused by Covid.


First up are the Terradon Rider unit, which had a single new feature type.  This is the terradon's body and wings for which I've put the steps below showing how I've painted my trio up.

Terradon Body

1. Glaze wing with 4:1 contrast medium:terradon turquoise then glaze over with the same close to the fingers


2. Wash body with terradon turquoise 
 

3. Drybrush with Sotek Green


4. Drybrush with Fenrisian Grey 


The rest of the terradon riders were completed using steps from the first post and when they're finished they look like this.




In the Starblood stalkers there was one model which had a couple of new area types, which was on the chameleon skink.  These areas are the chameleon skink's skin and his frog quiver so below are my steps for each of these areas.

Chameleon Skink Skin
1. Base with gauss blaster green


2. glaze skin with 1:1 terradon turquoise:contrast medium leaving underbelly


3. glaze scales and recesses with terradon turquoise


4. drybrush gauss blaster green (forgot the photo here)

5. drybrush ushabti bone focusing on scales


And that finishes of the majority of the area of the model itself in truth, which then takes me onto the poison Dart Frog Quiver for which I took inspiration but I inverted the colours so that its orange with black spots instead as it would go down on the model easier and be more stark against the green skin.


1. Rebase with wraithbone 


2. Glaze with Gryph-Hound Orange (again I forgot this photo)

3. Layer with Fire Dragon Bright


4. Highlight with Luggnard Orange 


5. Base eyes and add spots in Abaddon Black 


6. Put tiny spots in the eyes with White Scar


This was the only unique adornment to the chameleon skink which left me to do the basing where again he has a couple of new features for basing with the tree that he's perched on and the ferns on the base which are also on the other Starblood Stalkers bases too.

Trees

1. Base with Dryad Bark 


2. Wash with Agrax Earthshade 


3. Drybrush with Gorthor Brown 


4. Light drybrush with Baneblade Brown 
 


Ferns

1. Glaze Warp Lighting Green


2. Drybrush Warpstone Glow


3. Drybrush Moot Green


This finished off the Starblood Stalkers which turn out as the pictures below.







These are my first Underworlds warband which will probably be my gateway game back into full scale gaming now that COVID restriction are allowing outdoor gaming to restart where I am.  Underworlds is not a game I've ever really played beyond an intro game and a few games on the online version so it will be good to properly learn to play the game. 

Not sure what I'll be painting up next for my Seraphon but it's likely either to be a unit of Saurus Warriors, a Scar Veteran on Carnosaur or the Realmshaper Engine depending on what takes my fancy.  If you want to check out Instagram where I post WIP pictures of my current painting project and I'll see you soon for another Seraphon update.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...