6 April 2021

Guardians of the Great Plan: First Spawned

Hi all its Neil here and today I've got a little post probably more for me about how I'm painting up my Seraphon for Age of Sigmar.  I've gone into quite a bit of detail with lots of pictures to show how each step is building up my final colours.  I've primarily used a Saurus Oldblood to show the steps then used a Skink Starpriest to show the extra parts and differences that are on the skinks compared to the saurus.  I'm hoping to build up a playable 1000 point list to start doing some gaming again after a long break from Age of Sigmar.  Part of the idea with the Seraphon is try to use contrast in a more controlled way trying to improve my usage from the Tyranids I've painted.  So here goes for my full steps:



1. Prime with white


2. Glaze over all skin with 1:3 mix of Akhelian Green:Contrast Medium


3. Using the same mixture glaze over the scales and surrounding skin leaving underbelly with the first coat only.


4. On the scales leaving the edge use a glaze with 1:1 mix Akhelian Green:Contrast Medium


5. Along the spine and centre of the head crest glaze the scales with undiluted Akhelian green



6. Drybrush whole model with Temple Guard Blue


7. Light drybrush of Fenrisian Grey focusing on the scales


8. Base ropes with Rhinox Hide


9. Layer ropes with Gorthor Brown


10. Highlight ropes with Baneblade Brown


11. Base spear haft in Dryad Bark


12.Base bronze armour and weapon settings with Balthasar Gold


13. Wash bronze areas with Agrax Earthshade


14. Highlight Gehenna's Gold on the bronze (forgot to take a picture this)

15. Highlight the higher areas of the bronze with Auric Armour Gold


16. Base the teeth and claws with Wraithbone


17. Wash teeth and claws with Seraphim Sepia


18. Layer teeth and claws with Ushabti bone


19. Highlight teeth and claws with Screaming Skull


20. Base blade with Incubi Darkness


21. Highlight 1:1 Incubi Darkness and Sybarite Green on the blade edges


22. Highlight edges of blade edges with Sybarite Green


23. Base jade areas with Caliban Green


24. Highlight and Stipple jade with Kabalite Green


25. Wash Coelia Greenshade


26. Highlight with Sybrite Green 


27. Highlight Palid Wych flesh 


28. Paint eyes with Khorne Red


29. Base feather with Mournfang Brown


30. Paint bands of Skrag Brown on the feathers


31. Highlight feather with Deathclaw Brown


32. Highlight feather stalk with Palid Wych Flesh 


33. Base shield hide with Khorne Red


34. Wash shield recesses with Nuln Oil


35. Thick edge highlight shield hide with Tuskgor Fur


36. Edge highlight with Kislev Flesh


Basing

1. Paint the rim in Steel Legion Drab


2. Cover with Stirland Battlemire and small patches of Stirland Mud


4. Wash base with Agrax Earthshade


5. Drybrush with Tyrant Skull


The finished Saurus Oldblood



Skink Extras
The link is my inspiration for the colours with my plan being that Skinks have tropical bird feathers while Saurus get more birds of prey feathers.

0. Re-layer white
1. Base stem end Blood Angels Red
2. Base tail end Leviadon Blue


4. Highlight Wild Rider Red


5. Layer Altdorf Guard Blue


6. Highlight Calgar Blue


Other bits
Seraphon Buildings
On the Starpriest's base there are some small ruins so I've decided now how I'm going to paint my Seraphon Architecture so this will get repeated for other ruin parts of bases as well as the large Realmscaper engine.

1. Base Zandri Dust


2. Wash Agrax Earthshade making sure it fully dries then do a more focused wash on the recesses and near the base


3. Drybrush flatter areas in a circular motion in Zandri Dust


4. Drybrush Tyrant Skull, heavier towards the top and lighter towards the bottom


5. Recess shade with Reikland Fleshshade keeping it off flatter areas


The finished Skink Starpriest


These steps cover my Seraphon main forces and my plan for the beasts supporting the troops such as Carnosaurs, Stegadons, Salamanders, Terradons etc will probably be to do bespoke ideas for each unit but using contrast paints to make use of their scaly texture.

I will do some more posts with the Seraphon in the future as I get back into doing more Age of Sigmar.  You can check out my Instagram to see what's currently on my painting table.  See you again soon for some more cool dinos from the stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...