30 March 2021

For the Lion: New Codex Supplement and Painting

Hi all, it's Neil here with a new For the Lion post with some Deathwing reinforcements and following the new Codex Supplement Dark Angels release my ideas for a list to build towards.  This month I painted up a unit of 5 Deathwing Terminators and the Bladeguard Ancient.


For these terminators and the ancient I used the same colour palette as I've used before on the Deathwing models.  The Ancient had a few additional areas such as his robes and banner.  For the robes, I did the parts that were on the normal bladeguard in the same red but for the extra parts mainly around the shoulders and over the hips I painted in the same green as the armour on the regular Dark Angels to tie it back in with those.  The banner I decided to paint in gold with a silver halo while the skeleton is bone coloured to look like real bones (probably from some captured fallen because Deathwing).

Since my last For the Lion post, the new Codex Supplement Dark Angels has been released and its looking pretty good.  I'm not going to be doing a review but to me it has a lot of tricks for messing with your opponent's strategy as well a way to run the classic Ravenwing and Deathwing only styles which is great.  My plan is to with a full slice across all three "Wings".  For a 2000 point Grand Tournament style list this is my current aim:


Adeptus Astartes - Strike Force - Grand Tournament ( 12CP - 1995PT - 5PT )

Adeptus Astartes Battalion Detachment ( 3CP - 1995PT )

SUB-FACTION: Dark Angels

HQ

Ezekiel 

PSYCHIC POWERS: Engulfing Fear, Mind Wipe, Mind Worm

WARLORD: Interrogator-Chaplain in Terminator Armour (105) Combi-flamer

TRAITS: Decisive Tactician (Aura)

LITANIES: Mantra of Strength

TROOPS

Intercessor Squad 

1x Intercessor: Astartes grenade launcher

1x Intercessor Sergeant: Power sword

3x Intercessor

Intercessor Squad

1x Intercessor: Astartes grenade launcher

1x Intercessor Sergeant: Power sword

3x Intercessor

Intercessor Squad

1x Intercessor: Astartes grenade launcher

1x Intercessor Sergeant: Power sword

3x Intercessor

ELITES

Bladeguard Ancient 

RELICS: Pennant of Remembrance

Bladeguard Veteran Squad 

1x Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant

4x Bladeguard Veteran

Deathwing Terminator Squad 

1x Deathwing Sergeant

1x Deathwing Terminator: Plasma cannon

1x Deathwing Terminator: Chainfist

2x Deathwing Terminator

Ravenwing Black Knights 

1x Ravenwing Huntmaster: Corvus hammer

2x Ravenwing Black Knight: Corvus hammer

FAST ATTACK

Outrider Squad

1x Outrider Sergeant

2x Outrider

                Ravenwing Land Speeder Vengeance 

Storm Speeder Hammerstrike 

HEAVY SUPPORT

Eradicator Squad 

1x Eradicator Sergeant

2x Eradicator

Gladiator Valiant

                         Auto launchers

Total Command Points: 3/15

Reinforcement Points: 5

Total Points: 1995/2000


I feel it gives me a good mix of objective holders, objective takers and firepower units as well as a set of great support characters to lead it.  The plan would be to have the Greenwing to hang back and hold objectives while the Ravenwing push the centre and my Deathwing drop in to apply further pressure.

I currently have the majority of this in my possession with just Ezekial, 2 more Bladeguard the land speeder Vengeance and the Eradicator unit still to get.  Testing will have to wait till COVID gets more under control and my gaming club opens back up and then I'll be able to iterate on the list to improve it.

I hope this has been an interesting read and if you have any thoughts on what I've written about please put them in the comments.  If you wanted to see pictures from my current painting projects you can check out my Instagram.   I will see you gain soon for some more Dark Angels content in the next For the Lion post. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...