25 June 2020

WW3 - 27th (Neil's Own) Lancers - Chieftains

Hello again, I'm Neil and it's time for 15 mm tanks in WW3 again.  In an earlier post I'd painted some Chieftain tanks for my Team Yankee force and now I've come back to Chieftains to bolster my minimal formation with another 3 for now (I ran out of Deathworld Forest Air paint for the last two I currently have so they'll be coming soon-ish).

The Chieftain is still the main tank of the British Army in Germany even though its an older tank at the time of setting of the game but with its powerful gun and thick armor it is still able to deal with even the best that the Pact can field.  The Chieftain can be further upgraded with the stillbrew armor package further increasing its armor on the front but reducing its ability to successfully navigate rough terrain.

Here are my three newly completed Chieftain tanks;





My steps for painting these chieftain tanks (and those from the previous post) are;
  1. Airbrush base the model in Deathworld Forest Air
  2. Airbrush base camouflage stripe patterns in Mechanicus Standard Grey
  3. Base thermal sleeve in Rakarth Flesh
  4. Wash green areas with Athonian Camoshade 
  5. Wash grey areas with Nuln Oil
  6. Wash thermal sleeve with Agrax Earthshade 
  7. Base tracks in Skrag Brown
  8. Wash tracks with Nuln Oil 
  9. Base track pads in Abaddon Black 
  10. Base machine gun in Abaddon Black and Leadbelcher 
  11. Wash machine gun with Nuln Oil
For my command team in my Chieftain units I've used the tank commander parts to represent this and painted them using the following steps;
  1. Base uniform with Deathworld Forest
  2. Wash in Nuln Oil
  3. Paint stripes in Zandri Dust on the uniform
  4. Paint opposing directional stripes Rhinox Hide on the uniform
  5. Paint thin lines between the colored stripes in Abaddon Black
  6. Base beret and headsets in Abaddon Black
  7. Base face in Cadian Fleshtone
  8. Wash face with Reikland Fleshshade
For the squadron commander I change the beret colour from black to red.  This means that in game if i need to move the troops and squadron commanders to new vehicles I can swap the turrets over to keep track of who is in command of the troops and squadrons.

Next in the painting line for my British Army force will either be some more Chieftain tanks ,an Infantry platoon to support my tanks, some recce vehicles or some artillery (I have bought a lot during lockdown).  To see my progress on painting I post up WIP pictures over on my Instragram.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...