7 February 2020

Path to Glory 2020: The Noctis Elite - A Shadow Cometh


January was a bit of a blur this year, in fact it went by so quickly I completely forgot to put up a post on my progress for the Tale!!

So how did January go? Did I get my models painted in time?




Yes!....... But technically no.
I completed all of the models on Feb 2nd, so 2 days after the deadline. This was mostly caused by some umm-ing and ahh-ing over paint and basing schemes and trying multiple things on the models before settling on a scheme I'm happy with. Eventually however I landed on a scheme I was happy with after a week and got stuck in.
I started with the Mortek Guard as they are my Battleline choice and worked as a good canvas to settle on my paint scheme. I wanted to have a dark and imposing scheme, something that spoke to the menace of the Bonereapers and the dread that accompanies seeing them come to claim the tithe. In the initial; previews for the faction the model that immediately caught my eye was the Soulreaper.

Image result for mortisan soulreaper
The Mortisan Soulreaper
I loved the black bone paired with the spectral greens and black-blue armour. It worked perfectly for me and was the exact visual I wanted for my army. So I set about trying to re-create the scheme as best I could with a few of my own small twists.
My First Squad of Mortek Guard

Mortek Hekatos and Necrophoros
I wanted to include some purple on the miniatures as I think it's the classical colour of Death, especially now that it is based in the land of Amethyst magic, Shyish. So I used the colour for small things like the wrapping on the weapons and the banner, as well as the strap on the back of the shields. Otherwise I tried to keep the scheme pretty similar to the Soulreaper as I was such a huge fan of it. The black-blue armour was my first attempt at a pseudo non metallic metal and I'm really happy with the end result. It's something I need to improve on but it's a good start.

After the Mortek Guard I moved onto one of the heroes for my warband - the Mortisan Soulmason. The bone wizard on his bone throne is a very strange model and very much encapsulates everything about the Bonereaper range. There's very much recognisable aspects from the Death range on him, like the Spirit Host he's grappling to control and the hat and staff he hears that share a resemblance to the ones possessed by Arkhan. However there's also some really odd pieces like the teeth lining the back of his chair and the ribs that rung along it. It really speaks to the "resourceful" nature of the Bonereapers - nothing goes to waste!

The Mortisan Soulmason

My what great big teeth you have...

The paint scheme for him was exactly the same as with my Mortek Guard. I did however elect to include a bit more gold on him to represent the loftier status he holds in the Ossiarch hierarchy. 

With the basing I wanted to keep it simple so I could spend more time on the models themselves so I elected for a rocky wasteland style with a few tufts of grass and scattered rocks. I need to work on it a bit as at the moment I feel like it blends into the model too much and is a bit sparse on detail, but that should be a quick and easy fix.

Overall its' been a good start to the Bonereapers and I'm looking forward to Month 2. Up next on the painting desk is another 10 Mortek Guard to round out my first squad of 20 and a Liege Kavalos. This will complete my month 2 warband and mean I'll be fielding a fully painted set of models (a rare and auspicious occasion when I'm concerned). 

Stay tuned for that post at the end of Feb. In the mean time if you'd like to follow some of my progress you can now find me on Instagram @hobbyguyjames, where I'll be posting updates as I go on the Bonereapers, as well as some of my other projects that I'm working on. 

That's all for this month. Onto the next task, for Death never rests!

Until next time,

James

1 comment:

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...