3 September 2019

Tournament Operations: A New Codex and a New List; Initial Ideas

With the release of the new Codex Space Marines and the Codex Supplement Ultramarines, I have been having a think again about my plans for a tournament list.  I thought I'd share a few things I've found from reading the codex and what list I've decided will start me off on playing competitive games with the changes.

I feel that my Ultramarines have gotten a decent power boost with the new codex and supplement both with the new angels of death rule and the additional stratagems that having the supplement has given to my potential toolbox.  The angels of death rule is what has replaced the no know fear rule of the previous codex but now applies to vehicles and contains the know no fear rules and the bolter disciple rule but also adds the shock assault rule which gives an additional attack per model when the unit charges, is charged or heroically intervenes.  This change adds an extra melee punch at the start of combats to help marines feel like the shock troops they are in the background.  

Additionally if your whole army has the Angels of Death rule (except for any servitor or unaligned keyword units) then you get access to combat doctrines which give additional -1 AP to certain weapon types depending on whether the Devastator, Tactical or Assault doctrine are active, providing an extra boost for not going soup and staying mono-faction which is pretty cool (and I feel the better way to go rather than punish soup armies).

The supplements give an extra little boost related to one of the doctrines, with Ultramarines getting to count as stationary when firing (as long as they didn't fall back or advance) while the tactical doctrine is active, letting your gunline be more mobile and still benefit from things like bolter discipline.
I am still in a testing phase with the new codex, having managed to play a single game so far, but I've worked out a base for a 1750 pt list to try and play more competitively.  This base list is;

++ Battalion Detachment ++
+ HQ +
Marneus Calgar: Warlord

Primaris Lieutenants
. Primaris Lieutenant: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle

+ Troops +
Intercessor Squad: Bolt rifle
. 4x Intercessor
. Intercessor Sergeant: Chainsword

Intercessor Squad: Bolt rifle
. 4x Intercessor
. Intercessor Sergeant: Chainsword

Intercessor Squad: Bolt rifle
. 4x Intercessor
. Intercessor Sergeant: Chainsword

++ Spearhead Detachment  ++
+ HQ +
Chief Librarian Tigurius

+ Heavy Support +
Eliminator Squad
. Eliminator Sergeant: Camo cloak, Las Fusil
. 2x Eliminator with Las Fusil: 2x Camo cloak, 2x Las Fusil

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought: 2x Heavy flamer, Storm cannon array, Storm cannon array

Repulsor Executioner: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launcher, Heavy Laser Destroyer, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Ironhail Heavy Stubber, 2x Storm bolter, Twin Heavy Bolter, Twin Icarus Ironhail Heavy Stubber

++ Total: [72 PL, 11CP, 1,395pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

This list gives me a nice CP pool as well as some troops and some heavy firepower while still having 355 points still to add more units to the list.

For the remainder of the list I have been toying with adding an outrider detachment with suppressors squads to gain a load of autocannon shots (that with tactical doctrine can move without penalty), adding some additional heavy support or bulking out my troops numbers but I feel that more testing is required before I settle on a single one to start taking to real events.

Hopefully I will have more feedback on how playing with the new codex goes soon and more pictures of the models for the list being painted on both my Instagram and on here at the end of each month in the March for Macragge posts.  If you have any thoughts on the list or other ideas what to use those 355 points for let me know in the comments :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...