6 May 2020

Path to Glory 2020: Brass Rampagers IV

Month... erm... 4?

Things went awry in February... Just a little bit. I ended up caught up in the excitement of our club Necromunda campaign, so spent most of my painting time focussing on my gangers, hired guns and a "small" amount of terrain. Then in March as came around things took a few surprising turns as the world went into lockdown. I'm now in my eighth week of working from home. This has certainly meant I have had a lot more time for painting, but I've pretty much avoided painting my Blades of Khorne during that time. Instead I have worked through a number of the Forge World dramatis personae for Necromunda, assembled "more" Zone Mortalis terrain, and worked on clearing various backlogs of scatter terrain, a few Warcry scenery bits, and a few random models I had lying around as distractions.

Well as the group approaches the centenary of blogs I thought I should catch up and do some more work on my Brass Rampagers. April saw me make some big achievements in progress - mainly determined by availability of various sprays, layers and washes that became as rare as hen's teeth during lockdown! So here we go... I've also included a few bits here that are not yet part of the Path to Glory campaign, but will likely see use in larger battles in the future (or just sit on a display shelf as lockdown perpetuates...).

Blood Warriors
A key goal for me in the Path to Glory paint-a-thon has been to up the number and quality of my battleline units. I enjoyed batch painting this unit of Blood Warriors, working from a bronze base, through several layers of gold dry-brushing, a Nuln Oil wash over the entire model before beginning to pick out details. The recessed armour plates are washed with Carroburg Crimson, giving them a nice bloody gold look that reflects the red painted armour more commonly used on Khorne models. While pretty close to being 'battle-ready' there are a few bits I will spend more time doing, picking out leather straps, detailing a few spikes and painting the numerous skulls to get them closer to 'parade ready'. I've also get to then have fun with Blood for the Blood God technical!


Wrathmongers

My Wrathmongers are going to be the first extra pick for my Brass Rampagers, bringing in an elite warrior band into my general's force and a little bloodthirsty boost for the other units nearby them. I ended up using a spare Exalted Deathbringer to convert up one of the unit, leaving me with the more 'daemonic' legs for another conversion in the future. I've not shown the full unit here due to a comical mix up with their flails during assembly meaning that one poor chosen fighter had an upside down hand! Hopefully I will sort that issue when I come to finish off the unit.


Daemon allied
A year or so back I swapped some spare models with Tim in exchange for the Khornate half of the Wrath and Rapture box set. The Flesh Hounds, Bloodletters and Karanak have been assembled and unpainted since then. With the timely arrival of some new Chaos Black spray just as we entered lockdown I was able to work through the unit quite quickly during one of the GW preview Twitch streams in early April. From the base coast I drybrushed up through Eshin Grey, Mechanicus Standard, Celestra Grey and then finally Ulthuan Grey. Just the manes and fur to finish now, pretty much the same for the Bloodletters too! A fun side paint and one that I can get use out of with the Blood Tithe during games!

Bloodreavers...
The bane of this army! Assembled nearly 5 years ago now. Gladly I have managed to base them up recently and do a little more work on them. I should really try and push to get them finished and off the painting table. I'm not going to embarrass myself with showing the whole unit! :D 

Judgements
I love these models. They are both really cool ideas that bring the entire theme of Khorne crashing into the face of his enemies. The Wrath Axe was another surprise fun to paint where I felt I was able to push my skills a little further, working up through a series of dry-brushed layers to achieve the light flame effect. The Hexgorer Skulls were nearly completed but suffered greatly during the Agrax Earthshade drought of mid-April. With supplies restocked they are awaiting a wash, final tidy up and a bit more Blood for the Blood God before I base them. I'm looking forward to using these in anger!


And with that... I think I need to work out how to improve my ability to take pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...