14 April 2020

Hobby Updates and Setting Some Goals

Why hello dear readers!

It's been a while since I've made an article for the blog. With a sudden influx of spare time (and a lot of backlog to get through) I figured what better way to spend it than to give an update on what I've been up to recently and to set myself some goals whilst the worlds gone topsy turvy.

First up is the hobby I've completed. March saw me still cracking on with the Bonereapers, adding another few pieces to the army. I managed to complete two of my Kavalos Deathriders at the start of the month, though this ended up being a bit of a slog due to some uncertainties I had around paint schemes. I spent the first week or so just making sure the colours worked and I wasn't painting what effectively amounted to a mass of black on the tabletop. The finished product is something I'm very happy with and I'll crack on with the other three models in the (hopefully) not too distant future. 




As you can see most of the model ended up sticking closely to my standard scheme. The area I struggled on was what colour to do the skulls within the horse. I wanted to keep to the same limited palette of blue, green and black so, given the already progigious amounts of black on the models, the decision effectively amounted to green or blue. I elected to go for the same green I've been using to paint the glowing eyes of all my Mortek Guard. This I feel helps tie together the models a bit more, hinting at the same form of Necromantic magic within the constructs animating and driving them all onward.

As well as the Kavalos I also finished the dreaded Bonetithe Nexus. I really struggled with motivation to paint this beast, so having it done is a wonderful feeling and as an added bonus I'm happy with the end result too. 



This was my completed additions by the end of March. I was set up and ready to push into April towards the end of my Bonereapers but unfortunately things didn't quite work out as I'd planned. 

C'est la vie as they say!

I don't want to let any change in plans get me down; In fact I want to use this rare opportunity to my advantage! There's still plenty of plastic to be assembled and minis to be painted! With this in mind I've decided to make a priority list of projects I want to focus on and complete.  

James' Hobby To Do List
- Assemble the Dreaded Ambull expansion 
- Assemble all Necromunda terrain from Dark Uprising
- Paint all of the hostile miniatures for Blackstone Fortress
- Paint all terrain from the Warcry starter box
- Decide on paint schemes for my Imperial Knights and Necromunda gangs
- Maaaybe start painting an Imperial Knight (that's a big maybe)
- Start building my newly purchased Adeptus Titanicus Titan Legio (this will only be if I get everything else done, or if my willpower fails dramatically)

One of the first things I've decided to get on with is finishing off painting the core box of Blackstone Fortress. It's been a blast playing through the Quest for the Hidden Vault so I wanted to have everything in the main box painted before starting on the next campaign. To that end here's the first of my newly completed units, the Traitor Guardsmen.



I've made a post about some of the other hostiles of Blackstone Fortress that I've painted, but the Traitor Guard were some models I've been looking forward to doing for a while. They're loaded with character, hints of their former loyalty to the Imperium are now buried beneath their new dedication to the Gods of Chaos. The variety of textures, from fabrics and furs to jagged plates of metal, mean the models are a joy to paint. The colour palette for these guys is very similar to the Chaos Beastmen I've painted previously. I wanted the Servants of the Abyss to have a unifying colour, in this case the bright red spot colour across the models, whilst keeping the fatigues and various bits of fabric varied to represent a more rag-tag and disordered force. 

Now they're done I'm closer than ever to finishing the hostiles inhabiting the fortress and I can see the finish line! My motivation is running high and I'm already onto the next of the traitors, the Rogue Psykers. 

So this concludes my little update for now. I'll aim to have one of these up at the start of every month just to list off what I've managed to complete and to keep myself on track. For those of you reading I hope you're doing well and like me have plenty of projects to get on with. Perhaps at the end of all this I'll have made even a small dent in the ever present backlog that all wargamers possess.

Stay safe out there kids and remember - The Emperor Protects.

Until next time,

James

No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...