2 March 2020

Path to Glory 2020: Gorkamorka's Chosen, Part 2

February has come and gone, and with it goes another month of hobby progress.
And in all honesty - it's not been a great month for Age of Sigmar (at least for me).

A lot of competing hobby objectives coupled with a new job have drained my enthusiasm for Age of Sigmar this month, and pushing through to complete my path commitments felt a little too much like work; never a good thing...

Nevertheless complete a model I did, so say hello to the newest member of the Tribe

As you can probably tell from the cool blues he's belching... this isn't so much a Firebelly as it is an Icebelly! Borrowing from the Beastclaw Raiders and the other Gutbuster Mawtribes, I opted to keep the cool, arctic look for the Icebelly - the blue steel mask, belly plate and hammer joiner echoing the blue steel I used on my gutbusters, and the icy rock he's using as a hammerhead echoing the ice clubs from my Beatclaws.

Much like my previous Gutbusters, I also used this model as an opportunity to explore the Contrast range. 

The skin tone was painted using Darkoath flesh just like my previous Gutbusters, but this time I made sure to apply the paint in a more consistent way; tidying up and spreading any heavy pools of paint that settled on raised surfaces (eschewing the "one thick coat" sales pitch GW glorified during it's release). The finished skin turned out much nicer on the Icebelly than on the previous Gluttons, restoring my faith in contrast (and saving me a lot of time in the future!)

I also opted to use contrast on the icy breath; Aethermatic Blue for the "flames" and Talassar Blue-over-Aethermatic Blue for the smoke. The flames look great, achieving the pastel blue glow I wanted, but the smoke looked a little over-saturated; two layers of contrast applying too dark a colour. I quick drybrush of Temple Guard Blue helped partially restore the colour I was looking for but I may still return to it and re-paint it in time. 

Much like all my Ogor Heroes, I've included the yellow spot colour, this time on the models loincloth. The hope is that when all the Ogors are arrayed together this single spot-colour will unify the tribe. It also provides a nice, bright warmth to what could otherwise be an overly cold scheme; a splash of contrast which helps the piece come together (in my opinion anyway!)

****

With February ticking over into March my fellow Warlords and I were looking at what the Endgame of this little Tale should be, and fortunately for us GW have announced a doubles event in the not too distant future! The perfect fuel for Age of Sigmar enthusiasm!

Our Path to Glory has stalled slightly, but with the tickets for the event in the post I have an end goal in mind and have started list building! Gorkamorka's Chosen will continue their rampage in the coming months so watch this space!

Until next time!



Visit my Instagram for regular updates on all my hobby activities: https://www.instagram.com/drmedge/?hl=en     


No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...