6 July 2019

Mustering for Vigilus: James' Adeptus Custodes, End of Month 6



So then, here we are at the end of all things... or just the final month of another Tale of Four Warlords. It's been a good one and I've managed to finally get some paint onto my Custodes, something I'd always been meaning to do. I must admit as the Tale drew on I was finding myself lacking motivation. There's only so much gold a man can paint before it starts to lose it's lustre (pun totally intended). However now that I've managed to get some games in with the army, and somehow pick up wins, seeing those painted models on the table has given me a real drive to get the rest done. Well that and we all know that painted models are 100% guaranteed to roll better... and die first of course.

So what did I add to the collection of painted models this month?


To start with I completed the last Vertus Praetor to finish up the 3 man squad. The Praetor himself is a great model and like all Custodes is good fun to paint, with a variety of details and ornamentation you'd expect of the real Emperors finest. However I can't say the same of the Dawneagle Jetbike. It's just a lot of flat panels and no real detail. After having painted 3 I can't say I'm eager to rush into another (ironic given what I'll be doing later this month). It doesn't help that I feel like overall they're the weakest models I've painted so far but there's always the opportunity to go back and improve them once I have the chance. With the squad of 3 done they'll look great terrorising the table or more than likely being annihilated by every big gun in my opponents army on the first turn.



With the Vertus Praetors finished it was time to move onto something a bit bigger. Enter Apollion, a Contemptor Achillus Dreadnought. Apparently Custodes aren't content with having the best of every infantry type in the game so they decided to outdo everyone else's Dreadnoughts as well.

The Contemptor Achillus is a gorgeous model, replete with lots of detailed filigree and other ornamentation it was a real joy to get painted. I opted to alter my usual style and paint the Dreadnought in a style similar to the Forgeworld studio model. The black shin guards help to break up all of the gold on the model, something I'm very glad I did as I feel he'd be a bit too gaudy otherwise (even by Custodes standards). I like the idea of the Dreadnoughts belonging to the Legio Mortia, that small sect of Custodians wounded badly enough to require the life supporting mechanisms of a Dreadnought to continue their service to the Emperor, and electing to lend their wisdom and might to a Shield Host as required. The left pauldron I've painted red to represent this ancient warrior joining the Shield Host to aid in the defence of Vigilus.


I've tried to improve my techniques on this model seeing as he'll work as such a great centrepiece for the army. I really wanted to work on my edge highlighting on points like the shin guards and pauldrons, as well as painting in the eyes nicely and getting a good blend on the Achillus Dreadspear. Overall I'm very happy with the end results and look forward to driving his spear into toughest units in my opponents army.



That was everything I got done for the final month. As the guys mentioned we're going to a doubles tournament in July to celebrate completing the Tale. As it's 750 points per player it's quite the challenge to get a Custodes list built that'll actually function, however I've put together something I think will do pretty well alongside my partner in crime Tim. However there is one issue, I've not painted every model for it yet. There's but one still yet to be painted and he happens to be the most important member. My Shield Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike, Diocletian Amun. So I've got to paint this lovely gent up in two weeks which is a more than doable task. His current status on my painting desk is a little ways off being finished...

With the Tale done I'm not quite ready to stop work on the Custodes yet and so once I've completed the Shield Captain I'll be looking to head back to the Allarus and get them painted by the end of July. I'll look to do a nice summary post of everything I've painted so far and my future plans for the Custodes. With that I'll sign off another post and get back to painting.

Until next time,

James

No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...