24 February 2019

Medge's Necromunda - The rise of the Sacred Flame: Part 2

February saw me complete converting and painting the Sacred Flame, and start the Necromunda campaign in earnest.

Before I show off any photos I want to make it clear that my INTENTION was not to spend any money on Necromunda... I planned on using stuff in my backlog (the Neophite Hybrids from Kill Team) to get started on a Warband whilst borrowing the rule books from friends. After 3 games of Necromunda I've jumped full in and picked up the starter box and both sets of rules! (so much for being good!)

Despite these purchased I'm sticking with the Sacred Flame Chaos Cult for this years Necromunda Campaign (fully expecting to go Escher or Goliath next time!)

So allow me to introduce you to my gang...






I've chosen a grey/ orange colour scheme for the models to kind of reflect the dirty industrial look i imagine the Underhive to have.

As described in my first post, the Chaos Cult warband work a little differently to traditional Underhive Gangs, eschewing Juves in favour of having a Cult Witch; a Pysker that levels as if they were a Champion.

The story of my gang revolves around my Cult Witch, known as the Black Phoenix



As the founder and leader of the Sacred Flame, my leader needed to look suitably Chaosy. The model is based on one of the Chaos Cultists for the discontinued Dark Vengeance starter set, but I've replaced one arm with a laspistol (instead of the extended claw hand). In battle he wields a power spell known as 'Scourging' - which basically provides him with a Flamer when cast (which is pretty brutal!)


My leader (a Cult Demagogue), named Anark'in the Puppet, is shown below:



I wasn't sure how best to run a gang in Necromunda, but looking at the skills Chaos had access to I knew I had the options to go sneaky (Cunning) or brutally offensive (Ferocity)... I chose the latter for my Demagogue. Armed with a Shotgun (a horrible shot range weapon) and a Chainsword Anark'in is well suited for getting in close and personal.
Something he has shown a great aptitude for! In the pre-campaign warm-up game he was responsible for taking 2 Juves out of action with his Chainsword, and has taken more people (including actually killing a Juve) in the campaign! (Who needs a gun anyway!).

His penchant for slaying Juves with a sword earned him his name, another another well known slayer of younlings...er... i mean 'Juves' ;-)

Story wise, I see Anark'in as little more than a puppet-demagogue. His face is covered in a mask which never comes off, yet his words can be heard clearly across the halls of the cultists. This is because it is never Anark'in that speaks - his tongue has been removed and his mouth stitched together and branded with the symbol of Chaos. From behind the scenes the Black Phoenix spreads the word of Chaos, using Anark'in as poster-boy for the Cult - the denizens of the Underhive flock to strength over a silver tongue after all...
Who or what Anark'in was before he 'led' the cult is irrelevant; the Black Phoenix has hollowed out the man that was there and left only rage and hatred. Anark'in is little more than a vassal for one of Khornes lesser-daemons now; strong enough in body and mind to resist complete daemonic possession but lacking the higher mental functions to think and act on his own.

The two Cult Disciples (champions) are shown below:




On the left we have Brother Jaego, the Purifier, and on the right with have Brother Zyke, the Silent Death.
Brother Jaego was a pyromanic even before he joined the Cult of the Sacred Flame - he was exiled from his formed gang for starting files within their territory. Now, armed with a desecrated Flamer, he excels at bringing the purifying flames to the enemies of the Black Pheonis. 

Brother Zyke was an aspirant in House Delaque before an unfortunate 'incident' with his master meant he needed to leave the house. To begin with he never followed the Eightfold path, looking for a new family and acceptance for his past transgressions rather than a new faith. under the guiding wing of the Black Phoenix he now follows the word of Chaos absolutely. He uses his former assassins training to bring silent death from afar - his custom built long rifle a perfect fit in his hands.

Finally - the rest of the Cult.



From left to right we have:
Brother Pavlo
Brother Nils
Brother Nyska
Brother Ushar
Brother Payne
and Brother Vorn

Waifs and strays from across Necromunda, the gang have come together and been gifted with a new life and new purpose under the watchful eyes of Anark'in and the Black Phoenix.

I've been a little behind in the Campaign, with a few family commitments keeping me from regular gaming at the moment, but I'm really enjoying the campaign system so far! Hopefully the Sacred Flame will bring the blessings of Chaos to everyone in the coming weeks. 

And should they all die in service to the Eightfold path... well, Chaos will always find a way back in to the hearts and minds of the Underhive...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...