9 March 2021

Deimos the Steel Forge: Part 2

Hi all, it's Neil here with some more progress on my #NewYearNewArmy Adeptus Mechanicus project.  This month I'd added another 5 Skitarii Vanguard as well as Daedelosus, the techno-archaeologist from Blackstone Fortress Escalation who is supposed to be a great toolbox character (whom I happened to have in my house).  In addition to painting, I have been looking at some of the rules for the <Forgeworld> available from the codex and Engine War as I'll discuss what I've decided fits best with my idea of Deimos.


Painting-wise the Skitarii are done in the same way as the Vanguard from the last post, and with Daedelosus I have done in a more industrial look and less ornate so he has less of the brass and wood colours on him.  His main feature is obviously that sky blue cloak which is very striking as it makes up a good amount more than on the Skitarii.

This project isn't primarily a gaming project but I will want to try some gaming with them at some point (when the COVID restrictions allow obviously) so I've been looking at the Forgeworld sub-faction rules to see what matched with the like two nearly identical paragraphs I've been able to find of the background for Deimos.  The background I've been able to find in summary says that Deimos was a forge moon around Mars that was relocated to orbit Titan to supply the newly founded Grey Knights.  They create all of the weapons and ships used by the Grey Knights but all exchanges are done my mind-wiped servitors on a space station between the two to stop secrets being "swapped" between the two secretive factions.  This is the total sum of background so I'm not working off much for picking the sub-faction.  Initial thoughts were to either use the Mars rules or to build custom Forgeworld Dogmas using those in Engine War, which is what I decided to go with to build my Deimos.  The traits are grouped into three, Rad-Saturated, Expansionist or Data-Hoard Forge Worlds which each have a primary trait and then three secondary traits each to chose from to create your Dogma.  I felt that the Rad-Saturated sounded like it represented the exposure to the psychically active materials used in the creation of the Grey Knight's equipment which is Deimos' purpose, which reduces the strength of ranged weapons being shot from 12" or further by 1 giving a little survivability boost to my guys.  The secondary traits associated with the Rad-Saturated can improve and extend the aura that Skitarii vanguard get, improve the AP of radium weapons, reduce AP against them in melee or half morale phase casualties.  Again going with my ideas about Deimos, I've gone with the first one called Omnissiah's Shield that reduces AP against you in melee by 1.  In my head this is the psychically charged metals used in Deimos' sapping the power of incoming blows.  I would have liked to get something like the Warded to represent a resistance to psychic energy gained from working with materials all the time and by incorporating the wards against the psychic into their bionics and armour but I did spot the Analyses of the Logos warlord trait which allows the Warlord to gain an aura to do this, along with a couple of others they can choose to cycle between.

That's all I've done this month for my Deimos project, in my next post I'll have my first vehicle to show you, a Skorpius Disintegrator, and my initial ideas for a list to build towards.  If you're doing a #NewYearNewArmy project as well let me know down in the comments and if you want to see WIP pictures of what's currently on my painting table check out my Instagram. See you again soon for more Adeptus Mechanicus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...