2 February 2021

For the Lion: Bladeguard

Hi all it's Neil here with a new For the Lion post about the latest unit I've added to my 40k Dark Angels.  This new unit is the Bladeguard from the Indomitus box.  I've painted these up in my Deathwing colours to match my Deathwing Knights.  The Bladeguard are a new unit of Primaris Veterans armed with master-crafted power swords and storm shields making them a resilient melee unit but are slow to cross the tabletop as they lack the jump packs of Vanguard Veterans or the teleport strike of Deathwing Terminators.


In the painting I have tried to continue to incorporate the some of the other colours of the Dark Angels in my Deathwing so the Bladeguard have gotten the green on their shields to tie in with the main part of the Chapter as well as red on their tabards and shields to tie in with the legion parts for Age of Darkness too.



The induction of Primaris into the Deathwing is a nice narrative addition to the Dark Angels and explains what happens how the lack of terminator armour for Primaris marines changes their deployment as part of the Deathwing.

In game I feel that they should work well with the new terrain rules and deployment types as it should let them get to the mid board easier which is where they want to be.  If they need extra mobility then an Impulsor can be a great way to getting them up in a more protected way if expecting less cover or weapons that ignore line of sight.

Next up in my For the Lion is a big one as I have been painting up Lion El'Johnson himself.  If you want to see WIP pictures of what I'm currently painting head over to my Instagram.  If you're interested in the other Dark Angels for Warhammer 40k and Age of Darkness that I've painted check out my other For the Lion posts.  See you again soon for more Unforgiven and maybe some time in the future this project will get to a battlefield!

2 comments:

  1. Great work, these are looking really good! Excited to get the codex next week, big changes for the Dark Angels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I enjoyed painting them in the Deathwing cream. I've already got the new book on order and want to try out the new Ravenwing and Deathwing rules as well as amines wing list or 3.

      Delete

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...