8 October 2020

Xenos on Crusade: Neil the Devourer; Hive Fleet Lindworm Month 4

Hi all it's Neil the Devourer here with another update on my Tyranids from Hive Fleet Lindworm for our Xenos on Crusade group project.  The hive fleet has expanded again and gained a Tyranid Warrior brood, a Hive Guard brood, a Zoanthrope brood as well as a Neurothrope and Tyranid Prime to lead them.  This means that I can play with some more medium infantry as well as some much needed ranged options in the Hive Guard with their gun and their Wizard Bugs with their brain blasts.




The new warrior brood are armed identically to the first unit and will now give me 3 troops units for fielding a battalion detachment in the larger games which is good.  I've kept using the scything talons for my warriors as one of the hive fleet adaptions that I'm using boosts their ap to -1 which helps.  Something that both my warrior units have in the crusade roster is the ability to ignore -1 and -2 AP which helps keep them alive against light weapons.



In game the warriors have been doing well, able to act in both shooting and combat phases plus when hanging out with the next unit I painted, the Tyranid Prime, they get a boosted effectiveness from his aura ability.

So now onto that Tyranid Prime, he's painted in the same way as the warriors with a bit more highlighting one parts and wargear-wise he has a deathspitter for some ranged damage and boneswords to mix it up in melee.  He's not great on his own but really helps boost up my warriors with is aura and synapse.



My third unit of the month was a trio of Hive Guard with Impaler cannons, to give me some more shooting.  These guys have been super useful in my crusade games, giving me the tools to deal with heavy units at range and to be able to use less monsters to skew the small games less.  In game they have been racking up crusade XP pretty well, currently having two battle traits one which boosts their scoring potential with objective secured and ability to do actions while still shooting, and the other helping their surviability with a 6+ feel no pain roll.



Finally I have the Zoanthropes and Neurothropes, which are both psykers and synapse creatures.  These help in dealing with units with good invulnerable saves by smiting them for some mortal wounds while themselves having a good 3+ invulnerable so can with stand the attention they're likely to attract.  Painting wise, I have been painting weapons in purple and as psykers I went with painting their brains in purple, as that's what they're using to deal damage.  The Neurothrope helps to boost the Zoanthropes allowing them to re-roll 1s on Psychic Tests as well as healing nearby Zoanthropes when he does damage with smite (and he himself has the correct keyword).




Gaming-wise my tyranids have been doing reasonably well, the T6 and T7 monsters at the low power levels have been really crutch to this basically because at 25 power its hard to bring the guns needed to deal with them.  Hopefully I can keep playing games as I am looking forward to larger games and bringing in new monsters :)

I hope that you've enjoyed this post and remember to check out my other Warlord's posts for their Xenos on Crusade armies.  I post WIP pictures of my painting over on my Instagram so check that out to see what's currently on my table.  If you have any questions, suggestions or other comments, pop them down below as its good to hear from you.  See you again in a month for some more Hive Fleet Lindworm updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...