4 August 2020

Xenos on Crusade: Awakening the Tomb IV

Hey everyone, Tom here!

So July is now over and I just managed to fully paint the first 25PL (26PL actually) of my crusade force, just in time with the release of the #New40k rules! Here is the force crammed into my light box like errr well skeletons in a tomb!

The last unit to be completed was the Lychguard - it took me weeks and several failed attempts - to get their hyperphase blades to a state I was happy with. Luckily the arrival of the Tesseract Glow technical paint provided a great solution and allowed me to try out this new paint. I'm really happy with how they turned out and I am glad I got to try a new approach to painting! I ended up painting the blades Grey Seer, then adding two layers of Tesseract Glow. Then I a wash of thinned down Warp Lightning contrast, before a second wash of the same that hadn't been thinned as much. This ensured I was able to keep the recessed lines as bright as possible and also let the contrast flow off the raised edges and instead cover the open flat panels of the weapons.

I hope that in the coming weeks we will be able to kick off our crusade and I will have the chance to reclaim the galaxy for the Nihilakh Dynasty. Until that time I am going to look at writing some background and motives for the crusade force, thinking about how they will grow in size and strength, and importantly which forces from the Indomitus box I am going to add next!

Next up I am going to be working through my Ghost Ark and getting 10 Warriors from Indomitus painted, for a total of 13PL. These will probably be equipped with gauss flayers for close up fire support. The final 10PL of my 50PL force will be a unit of 10 Warriors, ensuring I will be close to fielding a Battalion in future games.


2 comments:

  1. Enjoy edge highlighting that Ghost Ark... drove me crazy! Lovely Hyperphase Blades and very Tomb Kings scheme. My Gauss Enegy is red/orange so might have to experiment with some other Contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha yes I'm carefully planning how to avoid that edge highlighting! :D

      Delete

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...