30 July 2020

WW3 - 27th (Neil's Own) Lancers - List building and Infantry

Hi all, it's Neil here back for some more WW3 27th (Neil's Own) Lancers.  Some of you may notice the new title for these hobby posts which is to keep it separate from my other Team Yankee content where I take a look at the background and different forces in the game.  Today I will be showing you some infantry that I've painted up to support my Chieftains as well as sharing my first 100 point list idea for bring them to the table soon.


The infantry I've been painted are a full sized mechanized platoon with the additional milan teams as well, which can be used as part of a Chieftain formation to support the 10 chieftains I have currently or for the start of a future Mechanized Company.  These guys can ride in the older FV432 and the new Warrior IFVs, with my plan to mount them in Warriors though I already have the FV432s painted so I've got the option to do either once my Warriors arrive.







Painting wise, I went with trying to replicate the scheme from the painting guides in the Battlefront books.  Below are the steps and colours I used;
  • Airbrush base colour of Deathworld Forest
  • Wash Nuln Oil
  • Layer small stripes on the uniform areas in Zandri Dust
  • Layer more small stripes in opposing directions in Rhinox Hide
  • Base thin stripes in Abaddon Black across the stripes
  • Base 2/3rd of the strips on the helmet in Castellan Green
  • Layer remain 1/3rd of the strips in Zandri Dust
  • Wash helmet Nuln Oil
  • Base webbing in Gorthor Brown
  • Wash webbing Nuln Oil
  • Base guns and boots in Abaddon Black
  • Base faces and hands in Cadian Fleshtone
  • Wash faces and hands Reikland Fleshshade
These are also the first Team Yankee models I have painted that come on bases so this is how I did these:
  • Texture paint Stirland Battlemire
  • Wash Nuln Oil
  • Use 50:50 water and PVA glue on the base to attach static grass

Now that I have started to game with my Team Yankee British force, I have come up with a list that I can build towards.  I've chosen to base my force around a Chieftain Armoured Squadron with support from a Medium Recce Squadron and some AA and Helos.  So here is my list;

Chieftain Armoured Squadron
    HQ
        1 Chieftain (Stillbrew)
    Chieftain Troop
        3 Chieftain (Stillbrew)
    Chieftain Troop
        3 Chieftain (Stillbrew)
    Warrior Mech Platoon
        4 GPMG teams
        3 Carl Gustav teams
        1 2" Mortar team
        2 Milan missile teams
        5 Warrior (Uparmoured) transports
    Abbot Field Battery
        4 Abbots

Medium Recce Squadron
    HQ
        2 Spartans
    Scimitar Recce Troop
        4 Scimitars
    Scorpion Recce Troop
        4 Scorpions
    Scorpion Recce Troop
        4 Scorpions

Support
    Chieftain Marksman AA Battery
        3 Chieftain Marksman
    TOW Lynx Helarm Flight
        2 TOW Lynx
    FV432 FOO

This list is a full 100 points and has what I feel is a good mix of units with tanks, infantry, artillery, reconnaissance, AA and helicopters.  The Chieftain formation should be resilient with tough tanks along with a decent number of units to keep it in good spirits and the Medium Recce formation provides a backup and/or a distraction.  For building this list I have all the Chieftains and the Lynx painted already as well as the infantry part of the Mech platoon.  The rest of the required units are on the painting queue and will be coming up in future 27th (Neil's Own) Lancers series posts.  I hope to soon bring you some tale from the tabletop on how this idea works and how I might change the list with lessons learnt. 

Next up in line to be painted are a unit of Scorpions and Scimitars, keep an eye on my Instagram for WIP pictures and come back soon for some more Team Yankee content with my 27th (Neil's Own) Lancers series.  If you are interested in a newer player's look at the rules and background check out my WW3: Team Yankee series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...