11 June 2020

WW3 - 27th (Neil's Own) Lancers - Lynx Helicopters

Hi all, its Neil here and welcome back to my WW3 Team Yankee series.  It's been quite a while since my last post for WW3; so long in fact that there has been a whole new edition of WW3 Team Yankee.  Last time I showed the 5 chieftain tanks that I'd painted which gave me the bare minimum for a chieftain company in game.  This time I've painted up some air support for these tanks in the form of a pair of Lynx TOW helicopters. These hunter killer helos mount two TOW guided missile launchers on their flanks and are great at taking out even the heaviest Soviet Soviet armour.

For the colours I've used this image from the internet as my inspiration.


I liked the green and light grey camouflage patterning which will make it stand out from the tanks while still looking cohesive as they will share some colours and have the similar patterning style to link them together on the tabletop.  The scheme may not exactly be the historical colours for the mid 80s Europe settings but I'm embracing the "not-quite-historical" setting to give me more freedom.

For painting these helos I've used the following citadel paints;
  • Primed Halford White Primer
  • Airbrushed Deathworld Forest
  • Airbrushed camouflage stripes in Administratum Grey Air
  • Wash green with Athonian Camoshade 
  • Wash grey with Nuln Oil
  • Base windows Celestra Grey
  • Wash windows Drakenhoff Nightshade
  • Layer windows Ulthuan Grey
  • Base weapons and rotors Abaddon Black
  • Base main rotor tips Averland Sunset
  • Layer main rotor tips Yriel Yellow
  • Base tail rotor tips Mephiston Red
  • Layer tail rotor tips Evil Sun's Scarlet
  • Stripe tail rotor tips White Scar



The green I used wasn't as bright as in the source photo but the patterning is there in the models and this green better ties it to the tanks that I'd previously painted than if I went with the same shade of the photo.

I've not played a full game yet just some intro style ones to learn the game and show it to friends but they look like a handy unit.  These Lynx helicopters can threaten flanks and take out stubborn heavy armour or hunt down hidden artillery if needed.

Next up for my BAOR force will be some more chieftains to reinforce my troops ready to face down the soviet invasion.  I post up WIP pictures on my Instagram, so if you want to see what I'm currently painting head over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Guide: Neil's Alarith Stoneguard

 Hi all Neil here with a guide on how I painted up my Alarith Stoneguard for my growing Lumineth army.  This is more of a post for myself to...